Thursday, June 5, 2008

End of phase 2??

I think I'm just about at the end of being useful here. Unfortunately it appears that the replacement batteries will have to be put in the week before we set sail. That should be straightforward, but there is always the risk of something going sideways.

I have had a chat with a leading commercial compass adjustor and he suspects my 30 year old compass is dead!!...he says they may last 1/2 that time. He also found that by doing a simple test he gave me to try, he has seen as many as 50% of "new" compasses in a marine store that are toast; the pivot points don't travel well apparently. This is about a 1/2 boat unit hit if this is the case and one more item for the TODO list....

Oh yes, the "secret" test: you take a tape measure, extend it and approach the compass slowly with it until the compass rotates about 2-3 degrees, then remove the tape. do this in opposite direction also. If the compass doesn't return to the original start point, the pivots are shot.

By this point I think we are well down the priority list of SSCC [ Seaworthiness, Safety, Comfort, Cosmetic] and are closely approaching "cosmetic" items; such as painting, varnishing,etc. The only remaining major purchase now is a life-raft.

The TODO list will never  be empty, the question is when is it close enough?

This will be last posting until "phase 3", pre-departure in July when I'm back from Saudi, then the wedding of my niece in Nova Scotia.

Over and out for now,
Bruce


No comments: